Friday, April 9, 2004

Metroid


I beat Metroid on the Zero Mission cartridge last night. Since I started at the beginning of Norfair, and I had already picked up the Screw Attack and Wave Beam, I decided to go to Kraid’s lair first and take him out. I did terrible on Kraid, but ended up going all the way to the left side and shooting him from the side while jumping out of the acid. I destroyed him just in time because I had about 14 points of energy left from all the hits I had taken, and from being in the acid. When I headed back to Norfair, I found out I had been looking for the entrance to Ridley in the wrong place. I went down some path through Norfair, and all of the sudden I was in the elevator room for Norfair. I thought the area where you get the Wave Beam eventually lead to Ridley’s lair, so I was way off.

This version of Metroid the GBA seems to have a lot of slowdown problems when there are a lot of sprites around, at least I would think its worse than the original Metroid. For Ridley’s boss fight, the flames he throws move very slowly, so much that I can have plenty of time to wait until they get near, and then screw attack through them to avoid damage. The same with the final battle with Mother Brain. I tried screw attacking through Ridley’s flames and then hitting him with missiles, but finally resorted to getting underneath him in the acid and shooting him from below.

Tourian took forever for me to get through. I came there with 6 energy tanks and 230 missiles, I think there is 255 missiles in the game total. When I first got to Tourian, I was remembering how the remake level was, and in the original, they start you off right there with Metroids coming at you. When I got to the bottom of the first room there was a orange door, and it didn’t open after 5 missiles. I thought it was an event door like in later games, so I went up to kill the Metroids I must have missed, and then I realized that the Metroids respawn in the original. Although the mission is to destroy them all, you really don’t need to destroy them unless they block your path.

As an old NES game, the game seems to have glitches in the graphics sometimes. After I froze a ring in the last Metroid room, it unfroze and became a Metroid, and I was attacked by all 3 that I had froze.
The hard part of finishing the game had to do with getting to Mother Brain’s room and shooting out the Zebetites. After shooting that first door that took 10+ missiles, and taking out all of the Metroids on the way, I didn’t have many missiles left. So I did a lot of backtracking to take out Metroids and refill missiles and life. Missiles that Metroids leave behind give you 40, and energy gives you 30. I died at least 2 times on the Mother Brain, so I had to spend a lot of time killing Metroids to refill. The boss fight had plenty of slowdown, so to kill Mother Brain, I stood where the last Zebetite was and shot missiles straight across, and then moved out of the way of the rings that slowly came from above and below, then jumped back up.
The final escape was a little akward because of the GC’s control stick and Samus’ tendency to spin with her slow jump movement. I didn’t beat the game in 2 hours, but Samus did remove her helmet, so I did it somewhat fast.

Metroid is still an NES classic, and still plays well enough today although a bit stiff, but the remake, Metroid: Zero Mission, is certainly more enjoyable and fun to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment